St Maur’s Convent
The first St Maur’s school in England was opened in Camberwell in 1897, the sisters then moved to Weybridge in the following year. The sisters were originally founded in Rouen in 1666 as the Charitable Mistresses of the Holy Infant Jesus by Fr Nicholas Barre for the purpose of educating the daughters of the poor. Their school became known as St Maur’s from the name the rue de Saint Maur, the street in Paris where they later lived and taught.
From the moment of the nun’s arrival in Weybridge, they turned to the Josephites to minister the sacraments to them. The relationship would last almost a century.
The closest a St George’s boy got to a St Maur’s girl was if they were brother and sister until September 1967. When 19 Sixth Formers from St Maur’s joined the boys ‘A’ Level courses in English, Economics, Physics and Chemistry, this was on a condition that they continued to remain part of St Maur’s and would be responsible to a senior mistress. Many members of staff relished the liveliness the girls injected into Sixth form studies, and the headmaster welcomed the element of academic competition they brought to boys in the classroom. However in September 1993 St Maur’s would be withdrawing from the arrangements that had been in place since 1967 and setting up its own sixth form.
Over the years there had been several attempts to link both the schools, St George’s and St Maurs, and on the 14th June 1999 the transfer of St Maur’s had been signed. In September 1999, 195 of the remaining girls from St Maur’s joined the College. Just as importantly, so did many of the staff, which proved enormously beneficial for co-education at the College. A year later St Maur’s Thames Street premises in Weybridge became the new home of the Junior School, providing a wonderful site that still had potential for expansion.